Active Sport4Life aims to get inactive people fit and healthy through sport. The programme is offered free to residents of Barking and Dagenham and Thurrock (everyone must meet the programmes eligibility criteria). It doesn’t matter if you haven’t played any sports since school — what matters is that you want to now!
Looking to get active in 2016? Why not take up Walking Football, a great way to get active and socialist with others.
New sessions for all ages and abilities start on 13 January so join the programme by contacting Mark Berry on 020 8227 3036.
Once on the programme, you will receive:
- An initial health assessment, with regular review meetings
- 12 weeks of free sports sessions with a qualified coach in your chosen sport
- Dedicated personal programme to meet your individual needs
- An opportunity to continue participation with local clubs
- Subsidised membership and fees at your chosen local sports club for a further nine months after your initial 12 weeks
The Active Sport4Life programme is open to residents of Barking and Dagenham and Thurrock who:
- Is not currently taking part in regular exercise
- Is aged over 14
- Has a BMI of 28 or more
Don’t worry if you don’t know what your BMI is — everyone interested in joining the scheme will have a free consultation and health check with a fitness instructor.
The programme is also open to residents who suffer from low self-esteem, anxiety, loneliness or depression. You can either be referred to the programme by a doctor or other health professional, or you can refer yourself for an assessment.
The sports available in Barking and Dagenham are cycling, dance, rugby and swimming. The sports available in Thurrock are athletics, dance, karate, netball, rugby, running and swimming. For full details of the times and locations for each sport see the timetables below.
Female Turn Up and Play Football
Essex FA along side Active Sport 4 Life are running weekly Female Turn Up and Play football sessions which is open to all abilities – a great way to keep fit and socialise. Taking place every Saturday mornings at Barking Abbey 3G.
For more information contact email@example.com
All coaching programmes have been designed with qualified sports coaches from local clubs and an exercise on referral instructor. All programmes and activities are inclusive and suitable for all abilities, especially those who are not currently participating in sport.
Taking part in this programme:
- Reduces the risks of coronary heart disease
- Assists with weight loss
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Controls blood sugar levels
- Improves mobility and posture
- Strengthens muscles
- Benefits social life and is fun
- Improves quality of life and overall health
Contact – Active Sport 4 Life
Barking Town Hall, Barking, IG11 7LU
020 8724 8018